The Prosecution Rests
(Testimony from 14 February 2005)

Concluding the State's Case

After taking testimony from several minor witnesses and the showing of video footage of an interview of Blake done by Barbara Walters in 2003 and audio tapes made of the actor's phone conversations in jail, Assistant District Attorney Shellie Samuels announced that the prosecution would rest it's case. The defense would step for the foreground on the following day, Tuesday the 15th of February.

But the final prosecution day was not without drama. The state concluded with an audio tape in which Blake discussed his baby girl, Rosie. In that conversation, Blake referred to the Bakley family as "monsters," and expressed relief that the little girl would now be safe from the Bakleys, no matter what happened. At that final point in the state's case, Blake broke down and fled the courtroom, apparently in tears.

The court briefly recessed, until Blake was again seated in the courtroom.

Among other witnesses who testified at the end of the state's case was Scott Hurwitz of the LAPD's Forensic Scientific Investigation Division. Hurwitz, a fingerprint expert, testified that he recovered 11 latent fingerprints on the exterior of the car in which Bonny Bakley was shot. Five of those prints, said Hurwitz, belonged either to Blake and his former bodyguard, Earle Caldwell. The other six could not be identified.

Caldwell was a co-defendant in the case until October of 2003 when the one charge against him, a conspiracy count, was dismissed by Judge Schempp for lack of evidence. He invoked his Fifth Amendment to avoid testifying at the trial because the prosecution technically could still reinstate the charges. The presence of his prints in the car meant nothing for the case because, as Blake's employee, he had access to the car.

Caldwell was out of town on the night of the shooting.

A manager at City National Bank, Helga Shattuck, also testified, telling the jury that large withdrawals from two accounts made shortly before Bakley's death caused her to submit what she called a "suspicious activity report" to a federal government investigative bureau, the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. Under cross-examination, however, she admitted that the actor had frequently made large cash withdrawals over a period of many years.

Altogether, the prosecution called 68 over the 28 days it took to present its case.


Click below to hear audio news about the trial (from KFI Radio, Los Angeles):

Feb. 14 (16 minutes).